Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.

2002 Scottish Cup Final

Rangers 3-2 Celtic


Third round: January 8 - Alloa 0 Celtic 5

4th round: January 26 - Kilmarnock 0 Celtic 2

Fifth round: February 25 - Aberdeen 0 Celtic 2

Semi-final: March 23 - Ayr United 0 Celtic 3

First Division Ayr United made their 2nd visit to Hampden Park in 7 days as they lined up versus the Hoops. But, like the CIS Cup final defeat by Rangers the previous week, the Honest Men were eventually overrun. Thompson scored twice - showing his deadliness from free-kicks - while Larsson likewise weighed in with a goal.


Third round: January 15 - Berwick 0 Rangers 0; January 21 - Rangers 3 Berwick 0

Fourth round: January 26 - Rangers 4 Hibernian 1

Fifth round: February 24 - Forfar 0 Rangers 6

Semi-final: March 24 - Partick 0 Rangers 3

Rangers had to secure a win in another Glasgow derby prior to they deserved to deal with Celtic at Hampden Park. The Jags from Maryhill were desperate to show their SPL credentials against the Gers however were eventually overshadowed by their huge name neighbours. German midfielder Christian Nerlinger scored two times in only his second video game back from a long-lasting foot injury while captain Barry Ferguson also struck home.

The Final

Both managers had gambled with health and fitness to play what they considered their most dangerous line-ups. Celtic's Martin O'Neill made a decision that influential captain Paul Lambert, Chris Sutton and Balde had all recuperated sufficiently from injury to start.

Rangers' Alex McLeish brought Ronald de Boer into midfield, despite the Dutch worldwide's recent issues with a damaged toe. The Rangers manager went for speed up front, an approach that had served him well in Old Firm matches considering that he took control of at Ibrox. His three-man front line had Celtic on the back foot from the first.

But Rangers suffered an impact after 16 mins when veteran Argentine ahead Claudio Caniggia needed to go off wounded after an outright bodycheck from Sutton.

Slack noting in the Rangers support enabled Balde to tear down an Alan Thompson corner as well as Hartson to head the jumping ball home from 6 backyards.

With the intro of Shota Arveladze, Rangers struck back within two minutes and once again bad defending was responsible. Johan Mjallby and also Sutton both tested for the very same high ball, however it fell to Lovenkrands and the Dane drove the ball low past Robert Douglas from just inside the penalty box.

Celtic were being clearly hampered by a less-than-mobile Lambert, that eventually needed to be changed with Jackie McNamara 2 mins prior to the break. That wager stopped working to settle, however gambling with Balde's health and fitness benefited Celtic when the big defender increased above a fixed Amoruso to power home a Neil Lennon free-kick into the net from 6 lawns.

Ferguson struck a curving free-kick into the corner of the net after Balde had fouled Amoruso on the edge of the area. Celtic looked physically drained and also McCann sent out in a cross for Lovenkrands to take in at the back post and also win the game for the Ibrox side. The victory brought Rangers their 30th Scottish Mug title, only one behind Celtic, before 51,000 at a Hampden Park.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published.